The Ten Outstanding Young Persons of Singapore (TOYP) Awards was held on Aug 12 at Resort Worlds Sentosa. Over 300 guests from the region attended the award ceremony. Dr Teo Ho Pin, Mayor of North West CDC, Member of Parliament for Bukit Panjang Constituency, graced the event as guest-of-honour.
Organised by the Junior Chamber International – a non-profit organisation that aims to provide development opportunities empowering young people – the awards seek to recognise individuals between the ages of 18 and 40 who exemplify the best attributes of young people. Candidates are nominated from not-for-profit organisations, professional organisations, individuals, businesses, and government agencies. The awards have been given out worldwide since 1983 and past winners include John F. Kennedy, Bill Clinton, and Benigno Aquino.
This year, 9 individuals from Singapore were recognised as honourees for their outstanding achievements in their field of work and contribution to the community. These 9 will represent Singapore at the global TOYP World Awards to be held later this year:
1) Poo Chong Hee – Business, Economic, Entrepreneurial
2) Jovin Tan – Personal Improvement & Accomplishment
3) Ramanathan Thurairajoo – Moral & Environmental Leadership
4) Assoc Prof Christine Cheung – Medical Innovation
5) Peter Draw – Contribution to Children, World Peace & Human Rights
6) Chung Kwang Tong – Contribution to Children, World Peace & Human Rights
7) Pang Junxiong, Vincent – Humanitarian & Voluntary Leadership
8) Loh Jun Hong – Cultural Achievement
9) Wesley Zheng – Scientific & Technological Development